Parallel Final

Student Film Analysis

This is my analysis of three film openings. Looking at these openings have really helped me in deciding what I should/shouldn't do when it comes to me doing my own opening sequence so overall this has been a really beneficial task. 

Number One:
Michael 



WHAT I LIKE:
I like the originality of the story-line, with the boy getting his heartbroken when it is usually the girl. Whilst adding a twist to the stereotype of this genre, the genre is still very evident with conventions such as sad-guitar music and the broken biscuits. The talking is very clear and the acting is realistic, especially with the break-up at the beginning. One thing in particular that stands out to me is the transitions when the boy is in his bedroom, this represents the amount of time that he has spent grieving without anything telling you which is extremely clever in my opinion.

WHAT THEY COULD HAVE IMPROVED:
I don't think there is much that they could have improved on, apart from maybe the boy running off crying at the beginning. However it depends if this film is going to develop into a Rom-Com or just a romantic film. They could have used more settings but overall this is a high-quality, well thought-out opening sequence.

GRADE/MARK I WOULD GIVE:
I would give this a high level four (Grade A) as I think the narrative and representations are well thought-out, steering away from the stereotypical romance films with girls getting their heartbroken. The camera shots are impressive and the sound is very clear. The Mise en Scene is very good, including the boys bedroom, the props such as the guitar and the biscuits and the music.

Number 2:

Roses Are Red




WHAT I LIKE:
The conventions are there at the beginning for it being a typical girly film, helped by the music and the use of the makeup. The titles are also extremely impressive as they have been very creative about them, for example the Polaroids and on the socks. The camera shots are also good. 

WHAT THEY COULD HAVE IMPROVED:
My criticisms of this sequence would be that it is mainly filmed in the girls bedroom which could be boring for the audience to watch. There is also a confusion with what genre this film actually is right at the end of the opening with the voice-over which not only sounds creepy but suggests this film is going to be about some kind of boy problem which is not indicated at all earlier on.  

GRADE/MARK I WOULD GIVE:
I think this would have achieved high level three/low level four (grade B?) as the titles are very good and the conventions for the genre are all included at the beginning. The shots are impressive and it is well thought out. The Mise en Scene is good such as the use of the really girly bedroom which helps reveal the genre more. The reason why it wouldn't have achieved higher in my opinion is that it is confusing at the end and if the voice-over had to be included, it should have been recorded better as it sounds distorted and it doesn't really fit in, They could have also been more creative with the setting. 

Number 3:
Luna




WHAT I LIKE:
I really like the story-line for this film and I think it sticks to the genre really well and includes all the conventions such as the music. The shots are all well done and I love the settings used.

GRADE/MARK I WOULD GIVE:
I would give this a high level four (grade A) as I think it is very well done and looks really professional. The editing is really good and the titles are also well thought-out. The Mise en Scene, for example, the setting is good as they use a variety of places which makes it more interesting to watch for the audience.